Not for Profits – Legal Services and Training
Charities, Not for Profits and professional regulators (NFPs) require competent, ethical and comprehensive legal advice to help guide you through the intricacies and complexities of legal and other requirements for compliant and successful operation. Lawyers at Pink Larkin add value by bringing a broad perspective to this work, providing proactive advice on related areas of risk and best practices.
Our firm offers a wide range of legal services, training and tools to support new and existing Not for Profits in navigating the complex world of legal, employment, HR, occupational health and safety, risk management and governance requirements, as well as best practices. Whether you are a new, small, volunteer-run NFP or charity, or a well-established professional regulator, we can provide legal services, advice and training tailored to your unique needs at every level to help you achieve your organization’s goals, navigate the minefields and meet all your legal and reporting requirements.
Our highly experienced lawyers offer legal services including:
- Legal representation for employees and employers
- preparation of key foundation and organizational documents
- Compliance under relevant legislation including the Income Tax Act, the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and relevant labour standards
- Consideration of Directors & Officers and other forms of insurance protection
- Regulatory risk identification and management
- Governance, Board and Volunteer Management
- Staff and employment management matters, from fundamental labour standards advice to training in communications and conflict management
We have created a series of training modules designed to fit every NFP need, tailored to size, experience and objectives. Modules can be offered individually or in combination with others, and developed to fit within your schedule and budget. A toolkit is included with most modules to help support ongoing development and consistency in application.
Examples of our training modules include:
- NFP Fundamentals: governance, employment law, Board liability
- Managing complaints and compliance of members/licensees: conducting fair and transparent investigations; preparing unbiased investigation reports; creative responses to non-compliance
- Licensing, Investigations and Adjudications training: ensuring a fair process; conducting a fair and effective hearing; decision-making and decision-writing; sentencing principles
- Developing a Risk Management Culture: principles of regulatory risk management; evaluating and avoiding unconscious bias in decision-making
- Managing Conflict and Communications – Verbal Tai Chi for the Workplace